Pages

Thursday, June 7, 2012

What is your dry place?

I woke up this morning and turned on the faucet. The ricocheting sputter of air moved through the pipes but no water. Not a drop. How frustrating!

Can the water company work on the lines unannounced like that?

Thoughts of what I would have to do without quickly filed in one after the other. No shower...how will I get ready for the day? No water for coffee (for those who know me, caffeine is a sheer necessity), and if I need to use the toilet, I better plan that carefully, because one flush is all I get. Suddenly, the shape of my day was being formed in my mind, and it was not pretty. The dread of being inconvenienced settled in.

Then, a thought occurred, "just turn it on again." Water gushed out past the air pocket, and all suddenly seemed well with the world once again. Then, I felt the Holy Spirit nudge me, "Remember your devotion this morning?" Now this question was slightly humorous to me because it was literally a minute or two ago that I read my devotion on my phone when I first woke up. It talked about looking for signs in the natural to understand and confirm what the Lord is doing spiritually. How soon we forget.

The Lord reminded me that He is Living Water. He is my well-spring of life. John 7:3-8 says, "Whoever believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him."

I thought about the work that God wanted to do in me. He has lately convicted me about negative thoughts and words. Complaining to be more specific. Many of the dry places that I am experiencing are a direct result of my words. We expand the length of the dessert by miles with the utterances from our heart. Each negative word accumulates like grains of sand in our spirit. The result is spiritual barrenness.

Proverbs 4:23 says, "Keep your heart with all diligence, For out of it spring the issues of life."

What always amazes me about my husband is the way he responds when I complain. Adam carries a quiet wisdom and discernment that speaks loudly and powerfully to me. Even when I complain, he simply listens (without criticism) and either says, "What can I do to make you happy?" or simply, "I love you." His compassion displaces my complaint.

If your spouse is struggling with something, do not condemn, simply listen. Chances are, there is a deeper root issue that only God can address. Your role is simply to show mercy and compassion.

Of course, God does have a sense of humor, and will use anything or anybody to get our attention. We were at Publix last night, and Adam asked one of the associates who was stocking groceries how he was doing. He replied, "I can't complain. And even if I did, what good would it do?"

I silently replied, "I think I got the message."

Activate God's blessings in your life and marriage. Turn on the faucet of Living Water that dwells inside of you, and watch your dry places come to life. It is HIM who we thirst for...always.


0 comments:

Post a Comment