Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

20/20 Vision

"I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, And that my soul knows very well." (Psalm 139:14, NKJV)

Think back to the moment you first "fell" in love with your spouse. For several months you probably viewed him/her through rose-colored lenses. Your eyes were opened wide to the amazing qualities that your spouse possessed that were often overlooked by others. Any shortcoming your spouse may have had was grossly overshadowed by love. Hence, the famous quote, "love is blind."

However, I tend to think it is just exactly the opposite. I came across this quote:

"Love is not blind - it sees more, not less. But because it sees more, it is willing to see less." --Julius Gordon

I believe that love gives us panoramic vision. It looks far beyond perceived flaws in order to reveal magnificent beauty. If you stare too closely at a Monet, you will only see small dappled strokes on a canvas, rather than a priceless work of art.

Perhaps your own unmet needs and unrealistic expectations have clouded the way you view your spouse over the years. God did not make a mistake when he joined the two of you together. Your spouse is His creation. He wants you to view your partner through His eyes, not through judgment or condemnation. Decide today to throw away the glasses that magnify your spouse's weaknesses.

Make a list of the good qualities that your spouse possesses. Thank the Lord for entrusting you with His wonderful creation. Look up a corresponding Bible verse that highlights each quality.

My list for Adam is:
  1. He is sacrificial--always placing my needs above his. (Ephesians 5:25)
  2. He is full of integrity, doing the right thing even under pressure.(Psalm 26:1)
  3. He is reliable--if he says he is going to do something, he follows through. (James 5:12)
  4. He is a visionary who can see what others cannot. (Habakkuk 2:2-3)
  5. He has amazing discernment.(Daniel 2:21)
  6. His unconditional love towards me gives me a greater understanding of God's love for me. (I Corinthians 13:5)
  7. He is an amazing steward of what God has given him. (I Corinthians 4:2)
  8. He shows me patience in my weaknesses. (Genesis 29:20)
  9. He works diligently and with excellence, unto God rather than man. (Colossians 3:23)
  10. He has a generous heart. (II Corinthians 9:7)

0 comments:

Post a Comment